CAG Vinod Rai's Speech at Harvard Kennedy School

This discussion is constructive appraisal of Accountancy in India and Accountancy Bodies have on the business. The focus will be from point of view of public interest and other stakeholders. Members are expected to discuss from point of view of current legislation prevailing in India and also contrast with international practises. Discuss on MRAs and MOU between the accounting bodies.

This is a open forum. Please share your opinion in professional manner or else face moderation.
Forum rules

This discussion is constructive appraisal of Accountancy in India and Accountancy Bodies have on the business. The focus will be from point of view of public interest and other stakeholders. Members are expected to discuss from point of view of current legislation prevailing in India and also contrast with international practises.

This is a open forum. Please share your opinion in professional manner or else face moderation.

CAG Vinod Rai's Speech at Harvard Kennedy School

Postby cmagururajan on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:45 pm

Dear All,

I felt it too compelling hence I have pasted few portions that I feel summarise the message of our Dear CAG.

CAG Vindo Rai' s Speech A great revelation and inspiration.

A basic premise of parliamentary democracy is that an elected and accountable political executive, with the assistance of an elaborate bureaucratic structure, would manage public affairs within the restrictions imposed by the Constitution and Law. However, the reality of complex politics in every democracy is leading to convenient deviations. A dominant culture of adjustment has become prevalent, with honesty and integrity being the casualty. Let me remind you that it is into this rather imperfect world that you now venture. You will be men and women who will matter and who will be leaders in society. Make the choice early in life and ensure that probity is the cornerstone of your actions.

I feel the above message holds good for every Institution that runs on public money.

Firstly, we now premise our audits on the firm belief that we are as much engaged in the business of upgrading governance as any other agency in the administration. We do not subscribe to the WE - THEY concept and hold ourselves to be on the same side of the table as the executive.

Most of the times an unbiased professional appraisal of issues bring harsh condemnations of being HAWKISH, which is VERY UNFORTUNATE.

Secondly, to place before you my second proposition viz., it will be very convenient for you to remain in a state of lethargic non-performance under the garb of complicated rules, fear of investigations and time consuming procedures as an alibi. However, with forty years of experience in the bureaucratic system behind me I assure you, given a little imagination, innovation and initiative the challenge of enabling and empowering the poor and marginalised, is within the realms of possibility. All it requires is a simple innovation of processes, a slight tweaking of the rules, sensitisation of the people who work, for the scheme and for whom the scheme works and insistence on timeliness.

Great Words that encourage people not be wary of taking initiatives.

The challenge is to be a change agent. Being a change agent is not all that difficult. Each one of us should have certain non-negotiable principles governing our lives. The biggest challenge facing you is to constantly change yourself without changing the core principles in you.

Encouragement and Guidance to being a change agent.

The view that "the end justifies the means" is becoming an increasingly convenient cover for behaviour of individuals, groups or governments. But the implications of this individual or collective conduct, are far reaching. History is witness to the fact that any dilution of morality has eventually led to degeneration of societal values, pushing the country into a quagmire from which it takes ages to emerge.

Educating the Oppressor about the dangers of Oppression and the Chalta Hai Attitude of the Oppressed.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
cmagururajan

Full Name: CMA C K Guruajan
Education: BSc , AICWA
Year of Membership or Passing: 2005
ICAI (CMA) Membership: ACMA

Re: CAG Vinod Rai's Speech at Harvard Kennedy School

Postby cmagururajan on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:47 pm

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
cmagururajan

Full Name: CMA C K Guruajan
Education: BSc , AICWA
Year of Membership or Passing: 2005
ICAI (CMA) Membership: ACMA

Return to Accountancy Profession in India